[MPlayer-users] copy but increase the volume

Adam Nielsen a.nielsen at optushome.com.au
Mon Nov 24 13:54:54 CET 2003

> -af volume doesn't work with copy because it's a copy !!

Yes, as I said before you will have to decode it and re-encode it to get
volume changes.  i.e. -oac pcm.

> In fact I don't have home cinema, then I will enconde in 2 channel
> stereo PCM. Like it isn't a copy -af volume should work.

If the files are only for your use then yes, two channels (and -af volume)
will probably be fine.  If you're planning on upgrading to 5.1/AC3, then you
probably won't want to amplify the volume, as most AC3 stuff is quiet anyway
- so if everything is quiet then you won't have to worry about sudden loud
sounds.

You could always just use -af volume with mplayer instead, to amplify the
volume on playback.

> I just begin with mplayer, it's a little complex now.
> I will have soon a Tv satellite card and I will dedicate myself to make
> it work, and I presume that it will be a full time job ;-)

Ha, I got a terrestrial digital TV card a while back - that took me some time
to get going - good luck ;-)

Cheers,
Adam.