[MPlayer-users] Digital camcoder

Adam Rice adamrice at ntlworld.com
Sat Nov 29 22:57:01 CET 2003

Quoting D Richard Felker III (dalias at aerifal.cx):
> ROTFL!! None of MEncoder's deinterlacers are at all acceptable. li and
> ci just interpolate from even fields, throwing away half the
> framerate and wasting space. lb, l5, and fd create horrible blurring
> or ghosts. md destroys all local extrema.

Where are these interlace methods documented? I was searching for de-interlace
docs yesterday because I'm interested in pre-scaling DVDs to get the best
possible playback quality. I was disappointed that none of mplayer's software
scaling algorithms can scale up something as simple as a diagonal line without
making it look jagged. I have an idea how to implement a scaling algorithm
that would be rotationally symmetrical, but it's probably stupid.

Ideally I think scaling, de-interlacing and frame interpolation should be done
together, as they're all processes of extrapolating a three dimensional
continuum (x/y/t) from discrete samples. Sadly my appetite for advanced
interpolation far exceeds my ability to code it.

Adam

--
Adam Rice -- adamrice at ntlworld.com -- Blackburn, Lancashire, England