[MPlayer-users] vrx_maxrate not honored

Andreu Escudero lemon at canuda.net
Wed Oct 1 15:16:02 CEST 2003

Ok, so I try to create an mpeg-2 video stream in a SVCD compatible format.
my options are:
mencoder -nosound - of mpeg -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg2video:vmax_b_frames=2:mbd=2:keyint=25:vpass=1:aspect=4/3:vbitrate=10
00:vrc_maxrate=2500:vrc_minrate=128:vrc_buf_size=1840:vrc_eq=1
I also have masks, cmp, etc., and I make 2-pass with the same options (except
vpass=2).
I end with a .mpg file. If then I make a mplayer -dumpvideo -dumpfile out.m2v
out.mpg, I get an out.m2v which I can mux with out.mp2 in order to obtain a
compliant .mpg
Anyway, when I try do mux them (using mplex) I find that, while the average
bitrate of the m2v is about 1000, it has peaks of 4000 and sometimes more. I
wanted to know why it does that, If I have selected a maximum uf 2500. (I added
the vrc_eq=1 because before peaks where even more exagerated).
Anyone knows what can I do to make it honour the maximum bitrate?

Ah, I use MPlayer1.0pre1

Thanks.

Debian Project (http://www.debian.org)