[MPlayer-users] Cross-compiling mplayer

James Lancaster james at kirk.math.twsu.edu
Fri Oct 3 18:06:13 CEST 2003

> I finally have a platform which will compile Mplayer 1.0 pre?.  (As I
> run RedHat 8, this required installing gcc 3.3.1 from source - not bad
> but time consuming.)
>
> This particular machine is Athlon based.  Now I want to compile MPlayer
> for some other machines I have around, but they have various CPUs.
>
> Machine A:  533 Celeron
> Machine B:  650 Celeron (Toshiba laptop)
> Machine C:  Athlon 1000
>
> None of these other machines has a development environment, so I need to
> build mplayer on the one upgraded machine.  Is there a guide somewhere
> which options I need to use? (mmx, mmx2, 3dnow, 3dnow-dsp, sse, sse2,
> and any others?)

look in /proc/cpuinfo for flags, my guess is 533 (p2-based, might be p3) =
mmx 650 (p3 based)= mmx, mmx2, sse (--disable-mmx --enable-mmx etc)

you can also use runtime cpu detection

enable whichever option in the configure script

> I looked in the docs; no real guidance there, it assumes that you're
> compiling on the machine that mplayer will run on.  Any other pitfalls,
> gotchas, and so on?

You need to have the same libraries, or equivelent versions on the machines.
<- very important, otherwise it may compile but not work.

> It's pretty critical especially on the 533 and 650 celerons....
>
> TIA,
>
> --Yan

James L