[MPlayer-users] Re: Joseph's Fun of Ripping Laser Discs (Fun?)

Joseph N. Hall joseph at 5sigma.com
Wed Oct 1 23:09:47 CEST 2003

OK, now this makes perfect sense!  Does pp work only on
MPEG-ish streams, as an integral part of the MPEG decoder(s)
in mplayer/mencoder?

Or can it be applied to any source of video, as in, from huffyuv?

  -joseph

> Mencoder isn't particularly intuitive (not to bite the hand that
> feeds me) but in the absence of information to the contrary, one
> would think that postprocessing a cropped (smaller) image would
> make more sense.  Does pp work only at the beginning of the filter
> chain?  Uh, why?

Because deblocking and deringing are per-block operations. If you
crop first, the 8x8 blocks of the decoded mpeg video will no longer
line up with the 8x8 blocks of the cropped image, and the exported
quantizer table from the video decoder (which is needed to know what
severity of deblocking/deringing to apply) will be gone, so the
postprocess filter has to assume default values.

Rich