[MPlayer-users] VIA H/W Mpeg 2 Decoder in EPIA-M.

Ivan Kalvachev ivan at cacad.com
Thu Oct 9 23:56:36 CEST 2003

Konstantinos Karydas said:
> Does anyone use an EPIA-M 10000 Mini-ITX based box?
> This has an Integrated Hardware MPEG 2 Decoder on board which waits to be
> used! There is a libddmpeg.so driver file that corresponds to this
> hardware.
> My question is: Can I use this driver provided by VIA in Mplayer to have
> this H/W Mpeg2 Decoder used for mplayer playback?
> BTW, I tried to contact VIA to acquire the source code of their graphics
> drivers including the H/W Mpeg2 driver, but unfortunately there is no
> answer
> from them for a long time.
> Anyway, if you know anything at all on this matter, please let me know.
>

> Thanx, best regards,
>
> Kostas

Somewhere in the begging of this year VIA people contacted mplayer, they
ere asking for help.
Unfortunalty they delayed the drivers with one month, and later refuced to
give a free sample cl266 motherboard.
I got angry and wrote XvMC video decoder driver, that is XFree86 standart
for acceleration Mpeg2, it now works in mplayer.
Few month ago an idividual contacted mplayer developers, he was asking for
help to make video driver for him cl266 board.
So far we have nothing.
So far you have 2 options:
1. find video driver that support XvMC (i've heard that it is some king of
S3 savage, maybe it may work with the opensource driver)
2. write video out driver for mplayer to pass-though video packets to
their library. It shouldn't be so hard, as there are already driver that
do that.

Best Regards
   Ivan Kalvachev
  iive