[MPlayer-users] VIA H/W Mpeg 2 Decoder in EPIA-M.

Konstantinos Karydas kkar at intracom.gr
Fri Oct 10 10:37:38 CEST 2003

> Konstantinos Karydas said:
> > [Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read
> DOCS/bugreports.html]
> > Does anyone use an EPIA-M 10000 Mini-ITX based box?
> > This has an Integrated Hardware MPEG 2 Decoder on board which
> waits to be
> > used! There is a libddmpeg.so driver file that corresponds to this
> > hardware.
> > My question is: Can I use this driver provided by VIA in Mplayer to have
> > this H/W Mpeg2 Decoder used for mplayer playback?
> > BTW, I tried to contact VIA to acquire the source code of their graphics
> > drivers including the H/W Mpeg2 driver, but unfortunately there is no
> > answer
> > from them for a long time.
> > Anyway, if you know anything at all on this matter, please let me know.
> >

> > Thanx, best regards,
> >
> > Kostas
>
> Somewhere in the begging of this year VIA people contacted mplayer, they
> ere asking for help.
> Unfortunalty they delayed the drivers with one month, and later refuced to
> give a free sample cl266 motherboard.
> I got angry and wrote XvMC video decoder driver, that is XFree86 standart
> for acceleration Mpeg2, it now works in mplayer.
> Few month ago an idividual contacted mplayer developers, he was asking for
> help to make video driver for him cl266 board.
> So far we have nothing.
> So far you have 2 options:
> 1. find video driver that support XvMC (i've heard that it is some king of
> S3 savage, maybe it may work with the opensource driver)

Where can I find such a video driver? Do you know? Does anyone else know?

> 2. write video out driver for mplayer to pass-though video packets to
> their library. It shouldn't be so hard, as there are already driver that
> do that.

No time at all for that. I am working on a project (based on the EPIA-M) at
my work.

> Best Regards
>    Ivan Kalvachev
>   iive

Anyway I am providing some web pages refering to the VIA EPIA-M box with the
integrated 'Castlerock' H/W Mpeg2 Decoder. They say nothing much, but they
could be of help to give you an idea of what this is all about:

http://chown.ath.cx/~greg/epia/graphics.html

http://www.viavpsd.com/product/epia_m_spec.jsp?motherboardId=81

Some graphics drivers, but no h/w Mpeg2 Decoder support:
http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=325
I have installed the latest platform independant XFree86 Full Binary
(clexf40032-bin.zip) graphics driver, since I am using Redhat 7.3 and this
is the newest driver (after the old platform specific 02/13/2003 driver).

If you can find anything at all in all these to help me I would be grateful.

Thanx in advance,
best regards,

Kostas