[MPlayer-users] DivX -> VCD + maintaining aspect ratio = impossible OR Howto ADD black borders

Andreu Escudero lemon at canuda.net
Tue Oct 14 01:07:44 CEST 2003

On dt, 2003-10-14 at 00:47, Marc wrote:
> Andreu Escudero wrote:
>
> >[Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read DOCS/bugreports.html]
> >

> >>any solution for my problem???
> >>

> >Yes, RTFM and search for the option 'expand'
> >

> WAHHHHHHH! I searched the man pages for the last 3 hours (maybe because
> there is no mencoder only man page... there is only a 2 billion pages
> mplayer+mencoder one)!
> And experimented with loooots of options... I also did some google
> searches (I could only find "remove black borders")...
> Then I searched the documentation.html + the encoding.html +  faq.html +
> without success... my fault was that I did only a short look into the
> video.html (when I saw the first page I thought this is where video
> encoding is explained technicaly :-/ (seems as there isn't an english
> one? I could only find a german one)

Extracted from the man page:

     expand[=w:h:x:y:o]
        Expands (not scales) movie resolution to  the  given value  and
        places  the  unscaled original at coordinates x, y.  Can be used
        for placing subtitles/OSD in the resulting black bands.

        w,h  expanded width,height (default: original  width,height).
        Negative  values  for  w and h are treated as offsets to
        the original size.

        EXAMPLE
        expand=0:-50:0:0
        adds a 50 pixel border to the bottom of the picture
        x,y  position  of  original  image on the expanded image
(default: center)

        o    OSD/subtitle rendering
             0: disable (default)
             1: enable