[Ffmpeg-devel] Re: [MPlayer-users] PSNR tests: mbd=2, mv0, trell, and cbp (and other stuff)

Tuukka Toivonen tuukkat at ee.oulu.fi
Tue Oct 14 12:42:52 CEST 2003

>> I made some tests with mencoder/libavcodec using different set of
>> options and the results are here:
>> http://www.ee.oulu.fi/~tuukkat/mplayer/tests/tt-test1/readme.html

I made still more tests with different options and video, the results
are here:

http://www.ee.oulu.fi/~tuukkat/mplayer/tests/tt-test2/readme.html

But there really isn't anything surprising... for this video

mencoder -mc 0 -noskip -skiplimit 0 -nosound -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg4:vhq:trell:mbd=2:vmax_b_frames=1:v4mv:vb_strategy=0:vlelim=0:vcelim=0:cmp=2:subcmp=2:precmp=2:predia=1:dia=1:vme=4

are (still) the best practical options.

>yes, i also dont remember ever seeing a PSNR gain from v?elim != 0, maybe
>theres a subjective quality gain

Possibly. In the test above only PSNR is measured.

>btw, mv0 should be tested with mbd=2, as it may produce bad results otherwise,

Looks like my mplayer is too old to have that option. I'll include it for
next tests, but I'm not planning to do any for a long time.