[MPlayer-users] mplayer as screensaver

jhollind jhollind at hollindenfamily.org
Wed Oct 15 22:10:16 CEST 2003

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 14:18:08 -0500, jhollind wrote
> On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 10:22:53 -0800, Sycotic Smith wrote

Well, I've found a "fix", but apparently is was met with some scorn and
forgotten/ignored, due to an include statement being added to config.h.
Here's the link to the mplayer-users archive:

http://mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-users/2002-October/022493.html

Mplayer must not be aware of "virtual root" windows.  In the xscreensaver
manpage, it states:

===============8<---------------------------------------------------------
To  use a program as a screensaver, two things are required: that that program
draw on the root window (or be able to be configured to draw on the root
window); and that that program understand ``virtual root'' windows, as used by
virtual window managers such as tvtwm(1).  (Generally, this is accomplished by
just including the "vroot.h" header file in the program's source.)

So, I took that file from the xscreensaver source, copied it into the libvo/
directory of my local mplayer source, then added the line #include "vroot.h"
to x11_common.h
hoping to not thoroughly offend anyone.  ;)

After recompiling, it all works prefectly.

Thanks...

--
Jason