[MPlayer-users] Mencoded Xvid AVIs are not playable under windows

guardian at skip.cz guardian at skip.cz
Wed Oct 15 22:36:49 CEST 2003

Hi! I am transcoding DVD title 720x576 using Xvidcore 0.9.2 to AVI with
following options:

1pass: (audio only and future video bitrate prediction)
mencoder -oac mp3lame -lameopts vbr=3 -aid 128 -o frameno.avi -ovc
frameno vts_07_1.vob
2pass: (videoscan-log creation)
mencoder -oac copy -ovc xvid -xvidencopts
pass=1:bitrate=1500:4mv:me_quality=6 -vop scale -zoom -xy 720 vts_07_1.vob
3pass:  (video rendering - AVI completion)
mencoder -oac copy -ovc xvid -xvidencopts
pass=2:bitrate=1500:4mv:me_quality=6 -vop scale -zoom -xy 720 vts_07_1.vob

My OS is: Redhat9
My mencoder is: 1.0pre2 (but i tried 0.92 too)
My Xvidcore(static) is 0.9.2
My libmad is 0.15.0b-2

My problem is, that transcoded *video is fine playable at linux
platform*, but under windows (MediaPlayer, MicroDVDplayer
and other players) with any of Xvid codec (Koepis, NICs, stable,
unstable.....) is randomly playable / unplayable. (audio
is ever functional), but video is there / or is not there.

When i transcode 10 samples with AC3 sound, all 10 AC3 samples have not
video.
When i transcode 10 samples with MP3 CBR (112kbit) then 5 samples are
functional and 5 have not video.
When i transcode 10 samples with MP3 VBR (VBR=3) then maybe all samples
are functional (sometimes 11th sample have
not video).

(all functional Xvid Avis have small "green" bug right-bellow in the
black area - there is 4 cm long green flashing rectangle,
but its a cosmetic bug).

When i am trying open these BAD AVIs with windows GSPOT codec
identifier, and i push "render" option, audio codec is
correctly recognized), but video codec is reporting: "NO VIDEO STREAM
PRESENT!"

Any ideas about this ?? Thanks.