[MPlayer-users] Comparison of different deinterlace and denoise filters

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Wed Oct 15 22:53:24 CEST 2003

On Wed, Oct 15, 2003 at 09:20:49PM +0200, Matthias Wieser wrote:
> > The chroma looked
> > rather wrong in many of them.
>
> You mean the frames from the softwarescaler and denois tests?
> I think they are ok.

In the second test frame, I saw some incorrect colors left over where
median deinterlace got rid of combing... This shouldn't happen.

> > If you use bttv, you MUST capture
> > interlaced content in yuy2 mode; the yv12 is broken and throws away
> > the odd field of chroma! :(
>
> Which bttv driver version? Maybe I'm going to use my old bttv card for
> video capture because s-video support in saa7134 is broken.

All. Apparently the bt8x8 chipset gives 4:2:2 planar video, and bttv
"converts" it to 4:2:0 by doubling the chroma stride. This of course
does not work with interlaced video (which TV inherently is), since
you end up with only the even field of chroma... In fact, the only way
to capture 4:2:0 video from bttv with mencoder is a command line like:

  mencoder -tv outfmt=yuy2 -vf il=d:d,scale,format=yv12,il=i:i ...

Using the il filter is necessary since the sw scaler can't otherwise
handle interlaced video (it would mix the fields). IMO this is a big
flaw in mplayer's (lack of) support for interlaced video, and it needs
to be addressed in G2.

Rich