[MPlayer-users] Things (artifacts?) appearing in output and input - Help!

AthlonRob AthlonRob at axpr.net
Sun Oct 19 09:04:01 CEST 2003

On Wed, 2003-10-15 at 15:35, AthlonRob wrote:

> I'm getting 'things' appearing in video.  They're hard to describe, so I
> did a -vo jpeg and put them up on my web server, http://rob.axpr.net/

As rcooley suggested, it seems to have been a hardware issue.

I decided to take the system down for cleaning today.

I haven't seen such a disgusting system ever.  It was DIRTY!  Everything
except the motherboard itself was coated in a solid layer of dust.  It
took a full can of air to get it cleaned off.  I took the RAM chips out,
cleaned their sockets, cleaned them (they were coated with dust as
well), cleaned the HSF, reseated everything... powered it back up... and
I seem to (at least right now - knock on wood) be getting clean video.

I wouldn't be surprised if that dust problem related directly to a heat
problem, so I'm going to get lmsensors running again to monitor it in
the future.  mencoder has encoded nearly ten minutes of video in the
last eight minutes or so (slightly faster than normal) with no seg
faults.

Alright.  :-)

I just wanted to post the resolution to my issue!

Thanks everybody who helped.

Rob