[MPlayer-users] LAVC-MPEG4 vs DIVX4 vs XVID??

Joonas Koivunen rzei at mbnet.fi
Tue Oct 21 16:12:35 CEST 2003

On Wednesday 22 October 2003 00:21, antonovich wrote:
> Don't be such an arsehole.
See those commandlines!
1) For divx & xvid he specifies target bitrates but sets a constant quantizer
(vqscale=2) for lavc while gives no reason for this.

2) Different keyframe intervals. 50 constant for divx, 50 min for xvid, 20
(???) for lavc.

3) For divx he tells to use the best quality (q=5), for xvid he only enables
4mv and for lavc only vhq. I believe that it'd would had been (at least
"more" correct) to do with "vhq=1:4mv" (or higher vhq, but it might bring
more speed problems) for xvid. For lavc "vhq:trellis:v4mv" or more.

I also wonder if more lavc (& xvid) options should be enabled to match the
amount of options used in divx with best quality. Eg bframes, vlelim & vcelim
etc.

Please correct me about xvid, I haven't ever used it so I haven't quite read
about it's encoding options.

> Anyone looking for something more substantial
> would go to doom9 anyway.
Afaik doom9 hasn't ever heard about lavc or o-p-e-n-s-o-u-r-c-e or even
mplayer. Of course I can be wrong, I haven't visited it for some time.

> Explain to me how you are being anything but a
> dick here?
He's just being brief.

-rzei