[MPlayer-users] Hardcoding subtitles

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Wed Oct 22 06:53:58 CEST 2003

philippe.combes at ens-lyon.fr wrote:
> Hi all,

> I tried the following command line, but it failed :
> mencoder movie.avi -vf expand 0:-50:0:0 -sub sub_to_hardcode.srt -oac copy -ovc
> copy -o movie_with_sub.avi

Yes, you can't use -ovc copy here because mencoder must completely
re-encode the video to effect _any_ change. So, you would have to use
-ovc lavc -lavcopts ....

Unfortunately, encoding again will compound the quality loss involved in
the first compression, and the end result will look significanly worse
than the source unless you choose a very high bitrate.

Adding a black bar can be done vith -vf expand, but black bars
(expecially the edge of the black bar) add more data to encode, so you
would need to use higher bitrate to maintain the same quality as
without.

-Corey