[MPlayer-users] OT: libavcodec+ffmpeg

Tuukka Toivonen tuukkat at ee.oulu.fi
Thu Oct 23 19:34:09 CEST 2003

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003, Xavier Sanz wrote:

>The codecs rm and asf in libavcodec are gpl, this means we can generate
>those streamings without needing of a license from the "owners"
>(microsoft, real networks)?

There are several kinds of things:
- Copyrights. Not a problem, since libavcodec code is written from scratch.
- Trademarks. You might not be allowed to call a stream "Real" or something
  else (I haven't checked). Not much of a problem, just use other words.
- Patents. Well, looks like everything is patent-ridden (although some
  people say that OGG related technogies aren't).
  This is the only real problem.