[MPlayer-users] OT: libavcodec+ffmpeg

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Fri Oct 24 01:27:09 CEST 2003

On Thu, Oct 23, 2003 at 08:34:09PM +0300, Tuukka Toivonen wrote:
> - Patents. Well, looks like everything is patent-ridden (although some
>   people say that OGG related technogies aren't).

IMO this is bogus propeganda. Theora definitely infringes on just
about every patent MPEG1/2/4 does, except perhaps a few regarding the
actual arrangement of the bitstream. Of course all of these patents
cover blatently obvious things (to anyone with mathematical knowledge)
with over 50 years of prior art, so they're all bogus, but claiming
Theora is patent-free while MPEG isn't is just nonsense.

As for Vorbis, I'm not as knowledgable about how it works, but from
some comments in libavcodec source I gather that it has certain things
in common with WMA at the very least.

Rich