[MPlayer-users] Playing Real Video?

MvH cola at looze.net
Sat Oct 25 20:19:36 CEST 2003

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003, Daniel Kropveld wrote:

> On Saturday 25 October 2003 16:20, MvH wrote:
> > > Not true.
> > >
> > > I haven't seen a single stream on omroep.nl that wasn't playable under
> Linux,
> > > unless the server at that time was completely overloaded.
>
> I studied the thread of this subject sofar, and I managed to save some streams
> of tv-broadcasts. :)
> Now I am only interested in a sinle item of this newsbroadcast, and I cannot
> find an option to select a frame-range while converting to avi.
>
> Then I installed Kino, hoping I would be able to cut the file, but Kino does
> not accept the converted avi.

Kino is meant for cutting files in "dv-codec"; like when you'd capture
from a digital video camera using ieee1394. It doesn't take anything else.
(like mjpegtools is for "mjpeg" codec produced by video-grabbers like
pinnacle's DC10)

I haven't used mplayer's edl very much so i'm afraid I can't help you
here. I can tell you how I would usually edit big files to chop it up to
smaller pieces.

I usually convert most of the stuff I need like this:

mkfifo stream.yuv
mplayer -vo yuv4mpeg -ao pcm -aofile dump.avi -vop scale -zoom -x 352 -y
288 ( whatever you'd like for x and y ).
and, in another terminal, I do cat stream.yuv | yuv2lav -o newfile.avi
You can use "lavaddwav" to put the audio back with the movie.
You could also pipe output into tools such as mpeg2enc or mplayer itself
again.

It's nasty; ik skip to the point I need converted ( I take scenes from
movies that look interesting for vj-purposes) and do the "finer" editing
in a simple application called glav, or in a much more harder application
like "veejay".

I've used avidemux for the same purposes as well it's graphical wich can
be useful for video.
Lives is quite usable as well. It actually uses mplayer for a lot of
things it can do.

but the option described above only needs
mjpegtools and mplayer to work; wich is easy to get working.