[MPlayer-users] Converting DivX4 -> MPEG ?

Levente Novák lnovak at dragon.unideb.hu
Mon Oct 27 09:33:10 CET 2003

>IMO SVCD should *never* be used for archival or distribution purposes
>because it (a) loses lots of resolution, and (b) wastes lots of bits
>on black borders, lowering quality beyond the already bad compression
>of mpeg2.

For archival purposes, the best option is to use a lossless codec (like
HuffYUV, FFV1, LJPEG) at a resolution at least the Nyquist frequency of
your source (generally twice that of the number of analog "lines" your
capture standard uses). Unfortunately they all give huge files. But you
can be sure that all the information you got from your capture card will
be preserved, especially if the colorspace is the same you used with
your capture card (most cards sample 4:2:2 internally, so there is no
need to use 4:4:4 or RGB though).

For distribution, it's right that MPEG-4 compresses better than MPEG-2.
With camcorder (moderately noisy) sources however, I prefer sometimes
MPEG-2 to the less blocky MPEG-4 but where blocks tend often to "stick"
to the foreground on scenes when the camcorder is moving while shooting.
It's maybe only specific to my sources and my taste, I'm not saying this
is a general solution.

Levente