[MPlayer-users] info on info displayed by mplayer

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Tue Oct 28 15:23:42 CET 2003

On Tue, Oct 28, 2003 at 12:34:47PM +0100, liane d'ambre wrote:
> when i launch mplayer on a file i have many info on screen, i have a few
> maybe stupid question about thouse info :
> -first question , i have to puter on the first i have :
> CPUflags:  MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 1 3DNow2: 1 SSE: 0 SSE2: 0
> on the other
> CPUflags:  MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 0 3DNow2: 0 SSE: 1 SSE2: 1
> What is 3Dnow ? what is SSE ? Is SSE the equivalent of 3Dnow on pentium
> cpu ?
> If not is it possible to have both 3Dnow and SSE flag activate ?
>
> -seconde question, when i start reading myfile, often divx one on the
> hard drive,
> i have the following line:
> Successfully enabled DPMS.013 ct:  0.006  368/368   9% 12%  1.8% 2 0 0%
> i have read that the last number is supposed to be the percent of cache
> use by the mplayer process. I have always 0 percent here , what's that
> means ? that i have no cache ? Is the cache a HD cache or a RAM one, Or
> in other word , is it useful to use cache to play a file who is on the
> hard drive.

Use -cache to enable mplayer's cache, but it's only useful in 2 cases:

1. Playing streaming content over network. For this it's required and
   auto-enabled.

2. Playing movies from a DVD/CDROM drive with broken drivers or
   firmware.

Under normal circumstances, using -cache will just slow you down. It
especially makes seeking slow since the cache has to be flushed and
refilled. So only use it if you have to.

Rich