[MPlayer-users] Error compiling MPlayer with latest Matroska CVS

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Wed Oct 29 03:23:31 CET 2003

On Tue, Oct 28, 2003 at 08:53:56PM -0500, The Wanderer wrote:
> Moritz Bunkus wrote:
>
> >The Wanderer wrote:
> >
> >>I'm presently having major problems with my package-management
> >>system (as a partial fix of which I've gone through a major
> >>upgrade, including I think gcc and possibly libc6 - though nothing
> >>else has broken),
> >
> >Try the usual thingies in this case, meaning:
> >
> >a) Remove all traces of the current libebml, libmatroska installation
> >including libs, include files, sources.
> >b) Make sure that there are no old files left, e.g. "find / -name
> >'Kax*' -o -name '*matroska*'" should come up empty.
> >c) Same for mplayer.
> >d) Get fresh versions of libebml, libmatroska. Compile, install them.
> >Don't forget to run ldconfig.
> >e) Get a fresh version of mplayer. Configure, compile them.
>
> Okay. I'm highly reluctant to remove things I know to be working, so I
> did not follow the letter of the above, but.
>
> I deleted everything found by "locate matroska | grep -v home", since I
> currently keep my source directories under /home/; I did likewise for
> EBML. I backed up the source trees, checked them out anew, compiled
> that, installed. No change - and I'd note that since A) ldconfig, when
> run with -v, mentions only .so files and B) the Matroska and EBML
> compiles result only in .a files I don't think my running it after
> installing them made any difference.
>
> I then backed up my MPlayer source tree and checked it out anew; no
> change.
>
> I then deleted the Matroska and EBML things again, backed up everything
> found by "locate mplayer | grep -v home" and "locate mencoder | grep -v
> home", updated all three trees from CVS, and recompiled in the usual
> order. There is still no change; I still get the same set of errors, or
> one not easily distinguishable from the previous (a diff of two recent
> versions of the output finds only what appear to be trivial
> differences).
>
> I am fresh out of ideas. This is obviously a problem in the linking
> stage, not with MPlayer specifically, but I've tried everything I've
> been able to think of to deal with it and had no success. Is there
> anything I can do, short of a wiping my root partition and doing a
> complete OS reinstall, which might at the least shed light on the
> situation?

Is it possible that you're using different (incompatible) gcc versions
for compiling/linking different parts? For example, maybe /usr/bin/gcc
is a symlink to one version of gcc while /usr/bin/g++ links to a
different version, or something similar.

My guess would be that the missing symbol errors come from differences
in c++ name mangling between different versions of gcc.

Rich