[MPlayer-users] Error compiling MPlayer with latest Matroska CVS

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Wed Oct 29 02:53:56 CET 2003

Moritz Bunkus wrote:

> The Wanderer wrote:
>
>> I'm presently having major problems with my package-management
>> system (as a partial fix of which I've gone through a major
>> upgrade, including I think gcc and possibly libc6 - though nothing
>> else has broken),
>
> Try the usual thingies in this case, meaning:
>
> a) Remove all traces of the current libebml, libmatroska installation
> including libs, include files, sources.
> b) Make sure that there are no old files left, e.g. "find / -name
> 'Kax*' -o -name '*matroska*'" should come up empty.
> c) Same for mplayer.
> d) Get fresh versions of libebml, libmatroska. Compile, install them.
> Don't forget to run ldconfig.
> e) Get a fresh version of mplayer. Configure, compile them.

Okay. I'm highly reluctant to remove things I know to be working, so I
did not follow the letter of the above, but.

I deleted everything found by "locate matroska | grep -v home", since I
currently keep my source directories under /home/; I did likewise for
EBML. I backed up the source trees, checked them out anew, compiled
that, installed. No change - and I'd note that since A) ldconfig, when
run with -v, mentions only .so files and B) the Matroska and EBML
compiles result only in .a files I don't think my running it after
installing them made any difference.

I then backed up my MPlayer source tree and checked it out anew; no
change.

I then deleted the Matroska and EBML things again, backed up everything
found by "locate mplayer | grep -v home" and "locate mencoder | grep -v
home", updated all three trees from CVS, and recompiled in the usual
order. There is still no change; I still get the same set of errors, or
one not easily distinguishable from the previous (a diff of two recent
versions of the output finds only what appear to be trivial
differences).

I am fresh out of ideas. This is obviously a problem in the linking
stage, not with MPlayer specifically, but I've tried everything I've
been able to think of to deal with it and had no success. Is there
anything I can do, short of a wiping my root partition and doing a
complete OS reinstall, which might at the least shed light on the
situation?

--
       The Wanderer