[MPlayer-users] performance isue?

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Thu Oct 30 00:26:02 CET 2003

MPlayer Mailinglist wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm running MPlayer 1.0pre2-3.2.2 without any problem, everything works
> how it should work. But I do have what I think is a performance isue...
> In scenes with 'big' moves (like for example panoramic views... I can't
> really explain..), I get horizontal lines on the screen, and it looks
> like the upper half of the screen is out of sync with the lower half so
> to speak. Are there some things I can do to avoid this?  The pc is a
> pentium 4 1.7Mhz, kernel 2.4.22 with a nvidia geforce card with the
> latest drivers installed. I should not be having this kind of
> performance problems on a system like this, right?
>
> I know this is hard to explain, but I hope you all understand :)
> English is not my native language so I tried to explain the best I can..
>

> Tom.

It sounds to me like you're describing an effect called "tearing". In
most cases, this happens when the output of frames to your video
hardware is out of sync with the refresh rate of your monitor. If the
frame changes while your monitors electron gun is halfway down the
screen, the top half will be the previous frame while the bottom half is
the current frame.

In a general sense, video drivers can correct for this by synchronizing
to the monitor's referesh rate. On my system (GeForce4 4200), -vo xv
does this automatically for port 137 (but not other ports, so if I play
two videos at once with xv then the second one of them is torn).

What video output driver are you using? If you're not sure, then please
post the _entire_ output of mplayer oneofyourfiles.avi -v

-Corey