[MPlayer-users] Exact resulting file format ???

Rainer Hantsch rainer at hantsch.co.at
Thu Oct 30 13:14:03 CET 2003

Hi, again!

Because I could not get a 1:1 copy of an SVCD working, I played around with
storing the movie from SVCD into a normal file.

I did that with the following commandline:
mplayer vcd://1 -cdrom-device /dev/sr5 -dumpstream

Well, I get a file named "stream.dump", which I can rename to whatever I want,
(preferred moviename.mpg) and I am able to play it with both: XINE and
mplayer.

My friend watched this very sceptical (he is a Windoze user) and finally had a
look into the file's header with 'hexdump -C filename', then he told me that
this is never a plain MPG file, he cannot find the appropriate header.
Strange, because mplayer tells me that it _is_ MPEG!  =8-(

What's now actually the case? Does  -dumpstream  only force a redirection of
the unchanged data from SVCD and hereby simply (and only) solve the problem
with the Mode2-Track, or does it more?

Please, detailled information, no guessings...

Another thing is:
After doing a  "mplayer vcd://1 -cdrom-device /dev/sr5 -dumpstream" (this is
my SCSI CD-Writer, a Plextor 12/10/32S), I am not able to mount a normal data
CD-ROM on this drive any more. I always get told that the filesystem-type
could not be detected. --> After rebooting my Linux-Box, it works again!
But I am still able to play any number of VCDs from this drive.

Does this command line leave something changed in my CD-Writer?

mfg

  Ing. Rainer Hantsch