[MPlayer-users] Exact resulting file format ???

Rainer Hantsch rainer at hantsch.co.at
Thu Oct 30 14:22:20 CET 2003

Hi, and *thanks* for your information.
On Thu, 30 Oct 2003, Attila Kinali wrote:
| > After doing a  "mplayer vcd://1 -cdrom-device /dev/sr5 -dumpstream" (this is
| > my SCSI CD-Writer, a Plextor 12/10/32S), I am not able to mount a normal data
| > CD-ROM on this drive any more. I always get told that the filesystem-type
| > could not be detected. --> After rebooting my Linux-Box, it works again!
| > But I am still able to play any number of VCDs from this drive.
| >
| > Does this command line leave something changed in my CD-Writer?
|
| It's a linux bug, i wrote a patch some time ago, search the
| mailinglist archive
| (Yes, i know, i should send it to the maintainer)

Hmm - Is there a "workaround" for that? You say LINUX bug: Is this a logical
bug inside the Linux driver (that linux still thinks of having to proceed
with mode2), or is it a hardware bug, that the plextor simply isn't reset
after playing the VCD by mplayer/mencoder?
As you may assume, it is not very funny to reboot a Linux machine after
playing a Video-CD. But I am also not happy to patch my stable running SuSE
8.0 only for this.

It would be fine to run some commands to force normal operation of the drive
manually when I get this problem. Something like an SCSI-Reset to the drive?
How?

mfg

  Ing. Rainer Hantsch