[MPlayer-users] tv as input using buz

davros tashuu at newsguy.com
Wed Sep 3 02:30:38 CEST 2003

At Mon, 01 Sep 2003 22:25:37 -0700, you wrote
>[Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read DOCS/bugreports.html]
>Davros wrote:
>> When I try, for example: mplayer -tv on:norm=ntsc -vo xv
>> have a tuner.  I tried channel=0 and various other "channels".  xawtv
>> works fine, and I noticed that it put something on stout like,
>> "tuners=0".  I tried adding this to the -tv options - same error.
>Why haven't you tried reading the "-tv" section of the man page?  Look
>for "input=".
>
>> Tv-out works, but ironically, tv-in doesn't ;)
>How is that ironic?  The two are completely unrelated to each other.

Here is the command:
mplayer -tv on:norm=ntsc:input=0:driver=v4l -vo xv

And here is the output.  Changing values for input has no effect.  It searches
for a tuner and can't find one:

Playing TV
TV detected! ;-)
Selected driver: v4l
 name: Video 4 Linux input
 author: Alex Beregszaszi <alex at naxine.org>
 comment: under development
Selected device: Buz[0]
Capabilites: capture overlay clipping frameram scales mjpeg-decoder
mjpeg-encoder
 Device type: 12521
 Supported sizes: 32x24 => 720x480
 Inputs: 2
  0: Composite:  (tuner:0, norm:ntsc)
  1: S-Video:  (tuner:0, norm:ntsc)
Using input 'Composite'
Selected input hasn't got a tuner!
ioctl set picture failed: Invalid argument
Falling back on trying to parse playlist TV...
============ Sorry, this file format is not recognized/supported =============
=== If this file is an AVI, ASF or MPEG stream, please contact the author! ===

Ironic is subjective, I admit, but so is your response.  It's ironic to me
because tv-in requires reading v4l, which is more or less a standard, no?
tv-out for the buz is a very specific thing, or so the docs say...so while the
two are unrelated to each other, it would seem easier to display an incoming
signal.

Thanks,

Davros