[MPlayer-users] best graphical card for mplayer

Sergei Klink sklink at yandex.ru
Sat Sep 6 00:45:32 CEST 2003

В сообщении от Четверг 04 Сентябрь 2003 02:33 rcooley написал:

> Sergei Klink wrote:
> > Actually, I've just bought a Radeon 9000/64M with tv-out, and it seems
> > that the new drivers for X 4.3.0 _do_ support TV-out(although I haven't
> > really tried it yet, only with vesa) - fglrxconfig presents some tv-out
> > options, unlike the older versions.
>
> I STRONGLY suggest you actually try it before you start spreading
> (likely incorrect) rumors.

Good news-I just did and found out that it DOES work! Yay, in other words :).
That's ATI's proprietary :( X 4.3.0 drivers from schneider-digital.de
I'll fiddle with it on the weekend and can share the experience later if
anyone wants :) I'll probably have some mplayer-related questions at that
time, too.

> > As for nvidia cards, I can only say that I had
> > _really_ bad experience with every card that I happened to use(don't look
> > at the price too much :), especially on SMP systems - plus the nvidia
> > drivers are extremely buggy(although I can't say much yet about the ATI
> > ones).
>
> I don't know what your complaints are about the price.  I can say that

I meant that some of the GeForces I was looking at were very cheap compared to
(somewhat) similar-looking ATI cards. Not that I'm really complaining :).

> I've used multiple NVidia cards (and multiple ATI cards) and have never
> had a major problem with NVidia's drivers, but I've had a hell of a time
> trying to get ATI cards to work.  Just forget about TV-out all together,
> as well as TV-in, and any feature other than plain VGA, and that usually
> only works after you've put a lot of effort into downloading and
> compiling the drivers, working out conflicts and bugs, etc.  Besides,

Well, I can't say it was that bad...Depends greatly on your distro/hardware.
For me(Debian 3.1) the main hassle was setting up XFree properly(was messed
up greatly after a series of efforts to squeeze something out of my Riva128),
after that it went fine - one trick for me was to use external agpgart
module(which I already had), since the included one didn't seem to support
VIA chipsets. But those are all pretty much driver-independent issues, and
after all those, all I had to do was to install the rpm(converted with
alien)(the postinst script looks for a pre-compiled kernel module or gives
instructions how to compile one yourself). I also think it's a good idea to
read the release notes for any such driver anyways.

> you still have to choose between Gatos and DRI, deciding which features
> you are more willing to get rid of, because neither has all the features
> of the other.
>

> > do you _really_ need agp8x? Personally, I was very suprised to see
> > ~100fps in UT at 1024x768 with my card(agp4x)...but I'd have probably
> > still bought 8500/9100 if it would have been in the store near me :)
>
> Almost nobody really needs top-of-the-line hardware, but if it isn't too
> much more expensive, it's a good idea to get it, since your system will
> stay useful for a much longer time.

That's what I'd do with a new system, but I wouldn't be too sure about video
cards...Anyways, never mind all that, IMHO it's never a good idea to buy
almost any kind of hardware that's been released only 2 or 3 months ago :)
Oh, forgot to say, my motherboard(asus a7v) doesn't support agp8x.

Anyways, judging from the amount of flame the topic seems to generate, I'm
thinking that the situation in general keeps improving - looks like there are
enough fans of both companies' boards :). The only problem is that we still
haven't reached an agreement which cards to recommend for sure :(
Sorry if I offended anyone - I didn't really mean to.