[MPlayer-users] compress audio dynamic range

Tuukka Toivonen tuukkat at ee.oulu.fi
Mon Sep 8 18:23:09 CEST 2003

On Mon, 8 Sep 2003, Vladimir Mosgalin wrote:

>I want to compress audio range to something sane, I tried
>If this is impossible with mplayer, which tool can I use?

I don't know if mplayer can do it, but sox probably can.
You could use "-dumpaudio" in mplayer, process the sound
with sox, and then encode into video maybe with "-audiofile sound.wav -oac
mp3lame -ovc copy".

I haven't done this with sox, but it has zillion effects, for example this
might be useful:

       compand attack1,decay1[,attack2,decay2...]

               in-dB1,out-dB1[,in-dB2,out-dB2...]

               [gain [initial-volume [delay ] ] ]
                 Compand  (compress  or expand) the dynamic range
                 of a sample.