[MPlayer-users] Segfault in mencoder when using -vop scale..

Jim Hatfield mplayer at tfield.org
Fri Sep 12 12:36:18 CEST 2003

After reading all the mencoder docs I can find, I'm having
a go at converting a DVD to DivX using the three-pass
encoding referred to in encoding-tips.html.

mplayer -vop cropdetect suggests "crop=720:432:0:72". If I
use that with no scaling then I get a successful encode
but the aspect ratio is wrong since it's a 16:9 DVD.

If I add "scale=720:304" then mencoder prints:

crop: bad position/width/height - cropped area is out of the original!

then it segfaults.

Platform is FreeBSD 4.8 using mplayer 0.90.0.110_4, which is
the most recent port (unless it was updated in the last day).

BTW a recent post mentioned that 3-pass encoding was buggy.
Is this one of the known bugs?

jim