[MPlayer-users] is mencoder as good as nandub ?

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Sat Sep 13 19:47:39 CEST 2003

Louis-David Mitterrand wrote:

> Most of the best dvd rips out there are done with nandub and their
> quality is usually outstanding. With patience and good understanding of
> command-line options, is it possible for mencoder to give comparable
> results? Or is mencoder not quite yet there?

Encoding quality depends less on the program and more on the codec used.
Though, being able to appropriately crop/scale, remove telecine from,
and sometimes denoise the video can help matters very much. I've never
used nandub, but I can speak highly of mencoder and its video filters.

As for the codec, are you talking about DivX 5? With mencoder we usually
use libavcodec mpeg4 ("lavc"). Lavc supports more features of mpeg4,
and, properly tuned, can give quality at least as good as DivX 5, and
probably better.

-Corey