[MPlayer-users] "-fs" vs. <ctrl>-<f> (NOVIRUS)

Robert Waldner waldner at waldner.priv.at
Sun Sep 14 19:00:08 CEST 2003

Hi!

I'm having trouble getting mplayer to behave like I'd like it to.

I have a graphics card with TV-out, which works fine (using the
 proprietary nvidia drivers), I've set it up as:

  Section "Device"
   Identifier      "Generic Video Card"
   Driver "nvidia"
   Option "TwinView"
   Option "SecondMonitorHorizSync"     "30-50"
   Option "SecondMonitorVertRefresh"   "60"
   Option "MetaModes" "640x480, 640x480; 1600x1200, NULL; 800x600, 800x600"
   Option "TwinViewOrientation"        "Clone"
   Option "ConnectedMonitor"           "CRT, TV"
  EndSection

So X starts up in 640x480, and I manually switch to 1600x1200 for
 work.
I can now start playback on some movie, and, with <ctrl>-<f>, switch to
 fullscreen mode. Somewhere between X and mplayer, the resolution is
 switched to 640x480 magically, and I have the picture on both TV and CRT.
 When the movie is finished, the resolution is switched back to
 1600x1200 automagically. Perfect.

Now, this doesn't work from the commandline with "-fs", where it stays
 with 1600x1200 and I have the picture on the CRT only.

Any idea on how I could have the nice automagic resolution-switching
 work from the commandline? I'd really like to be able to watch more
 than one movie without getting up from the couch ;)
Or, to phrase the question differently, what's mplayer doing different
 between <ctrl>-<f> and "-fs"?

The system is Debian GNU/Linux, "unstable", with mplayer-k7 1.0-pre1.0
 and xserver-xfree86 4.1.0-16 (xserver-common 4.2.1-9). I'm using "-vo
 sdl" with mplayer.

cheers+tia,
&rw
--