[MPlayer-users] strange encodeing problem vertical black bands

Andrew Gillham Andrew.Gillham at newcastle.ac.uk
Tue Sep 16 16:24:38 CEST 2003

Hi,

Im sorry if this is a stupid question but I have not been able to find any
answers in any documentation or in the archives so far.

Im useing the following command to encode from a dvd:

mencoder -dvd 2 -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vpass=1 -oac copy -o
2.avi

then gin with pass=2

However when I view the output file (in various players includeing another
build of mplayer on a differnt computer) It has two vertical black bands to
the left and right of the picture, larger on the left hand side.

So I figure i'll use crop to remove them. If I use the rectangle command as
follows:

mplayer 2.avi -vop rectangle=720:576:0:0

it draws a rectangle perfectly around the video and not on the black lines.
So then I try to crop it useing

mencoder 2.avi -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vpass={1 then 2} -vop
crop:720:576:0:0 -oac copy -o 2a.avi

and it makes no differance what so ever

If I crop it stright off the dvd, the black bands are still there and the
picture
is horizontaly squashed.

other files not encoded by me play fine without any vertical black bands at
all. I guess there are two questions here:

1. why do the black bands appear in the output file in first place?
2. why does croping to a rectangle which does apparently not include
them, not remove them???

I'm useing mplayer version 0.90rc3 on debian unstable.

Also, could anyone tell me the options to use for encodeing the audio
useing oggenc?

I'm sorry this wasen't very consise, thanks in advance for any help,

Andrew