[MPlayer-users] strange encodeing problem vertical black bands

Joonas Koivunen rzei at mbnet.fi
Wed Sep 17 19:33:37 CEST 2003

On Tuesday 16 September 2003 17:24, Andrew Gillham wrote:
> Hi,
> it draws a rectangle perfectly around the video and not on the black lines.
> So then I try to crop it useing
>
> mencoder 2.avi -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vpass={1 then 2} -vop
> crop:720:576:0:0 -oac copy -o 2a.avi
get "right" crop values with -vf cropdetect. read manual for more. sorry, your
mail is too long for me to read atm. let's hope this helps.

> and it makes no differance what so ever
it won't because it crops nothing.

> If I crop it stright off the dvd, the black bands are still there and the
> picture
> is horizontaly squashed.
see lavc option aspect, or autoaspect.

> other files not encoded by me play fine without any vertical black bands at
> all. I guess there are two questions here:
>
> 1. why do the black bands appear in the output file in first place?
no idea.

> 2. why does croping to a rectangle which does apparently not include
> them, not remove them???
no idea.

> I'm useing mplayer version 0.90rc3 on debian unstable.
why don't you upgrade?

> Also, could anyone tell me the options to use for encodeing the audio
> useing oggenc?
search the list and the net for using mplayer/mencoder to creating ogm.

> Andrew
-rzei