[MPlayer-users] Mpeg2video for DVD authoring? (sorry for prior, subjectless message)

Joshua Rothenberg adonna at myrealbox.com
Fri Sep 5 22:52:45 CEST 2003

Is it possible to the new mpeg2video libavcodec codec to create an mpeg2
stream that can be used to author a dvd? If so, what limitations must be
placed on the stream? I attempted to use a method similar to what was
described in the post about SVCD creation to restrict the bitrate so mplex
wouldn't complain, but my dvd player only got a black screen (the timer
advanced and the audio played fine, though). I suspect the problem may
partly lie with my keyframe interval, but I couldn't find the correct
value (I used the value that the man page listed as the maximum for strict
mpeg 1/2/4 compliance).  Also note that I made the modification suggested
by the person who made the SVCD creation post to not get the spurious bits
in the dumped mpeg stream (is this really necessary?) and this is why the
first sox invocation is necessary (this could be done in one command, yes..).
One other thing I changed was to use add the -V flag to mplex (I'd try
making another but my dvd-player doesn't support rewritable discs and
I'm loath to keep making toasters.

mencoder -o test.avi in.avi -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg2video:vbitrate=2500:vhq=1:vrc_eq=isI*200000+isP*75000\
:vratetol=1000000:aspect=4/3:mbd=1:keyint=132 -oac pcm -vf pp=de\
,denoise3d=4:4:5,scale=720:576 -sws 9
mplayer -dumpvideo -dumpfile test.m2v test.avi
mplayer -dumpaudio -dumpfile test.pcm test.avi
sox -t raw -c 2 -w -s -r 44100 test.pcm -t raw -c 2 -w -s -r 44098 \
test.pcm2 rate
sox -t raw -c 2 -w -s -r 44100 test.pcm2 -t raw -c 2 -w -s -r 48000 \
test.pcm3 rate
toolame -s 48 test.pcm3 test.mp2
mplex -V -f 8 -o test.mpg test.m2v test.mp2
dvdauthor -o dvd/ --video=ntsc+4:3+720x576 test.mpg
dvdauthor -T -o dvd/

Joshua Rothenberg
adonna at myrealbox.com