[MPlayer-users] Mpeg2video for DVD authoring? (sorry for prior, subjectless message)

Daniele Forghieri guru at digitalfantasy.it
Wed Sep 17 09:20:00 CEST 2003

Joshua Rothenberg wrote:
> Is it possible to the new mpeg2video libavcodec codec to create an mpeg2
> stream that can be used to author a dvd? If so, what limitations must be
> placed on the stream?
I try yesterday to make a PAL DVD so i put the keyint to 15 (the
limitation of the DVD is 36 fields (18 frames) for NTSC and 30 fields
(15 frames) for PAL, even if some docs says 12 frames for PAL).

The other limitation are well know: resolution (720x576, 704x576,
352x576) and bitrate (~ 9000 kbits).

I patch mplayer to avoid the packet size in the mpeg stream (and i have
the file.m2v), used ffmeg to convert the pcm audio to ac3 at 224kbit and,
finally, tcmplex to multiplex the data.

It gives me a warning (about bitrate) but the DVD work.

The only real problem is that the file is interlaced (is a capture from
the TV) and my DVD doesn't recognize that so the moving scenes are
unwatchables.

I continue my test (if someone have some trick to make the stream marked
    as interlaced is really welcome).

	Daniele Forghieri

P.S. Keep in mind that one thing is the mpeg2 standard and another is
the DVD compliant rules, the DVD uses a subset of the mpeg2 so a
perfectly legal mpeg2 stream may not be good for all the DVD player (and
some DVD may play it, as for some eXtra Video CD).

If you have a DVD authoring tool ( I got one with my DVD burner) in some
place this information must (or should) be written.