[MPlayer-users] Re: trouble converting ppm to mpeg - repost

Lawrence M./ Lifshitz Lawrence.Lifshitz at umassmed.edu
Fri Sep 19 19:55:14 CEST 2003

[summary: I think I've tried what you suggested and it isn't working.
  what am I doing wrong?  do I have a buggy release?]

when I do a "man mplayer" I don't see exactly what you see.  I see
    mencoder "mf://*.jpg" -mf fps=25 -o output.avi -ovc divx4
not the example you are sending me.
Also I also don't see any mention of an "on" option for -mf.
(I'm running MPlayer 1.0pre1-3.2.2).  I find the example I do see
confusing, since the man page talks about -mf, not "mf://".
I'm also confused by which options are "global" and go at the front and
which are supposed to come immediately AFTER the file name.  Looking at my
man page it looks like almost all options to mencoder should come before
the file names
    mencoder [options] [ file | URL | - ] [-o file]

However, I had thought that filename expansion might be part of the problem
so I had tried just listing all the files on the command line, that didn't seem
to help.

If I do as I think you are suggesting:
    mencoder \*.jpg -mf on:fps=2:type=jpeg -ofps 2 -ovc lavc -lavcopts   \
	vcodec=mpeg1video -of mpeg -v -o movie.mpg
I get:
	MEncoder 1.0pre1-3.2.2 (C) 2000-2003 MPlayer Team

	CPU: Intel Celeron 2/Pentium III Tualatin (Family: 6, Stepping: 1)
	Detected cache-line size is 32 bytes
	CPUflags: Type: 6 MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 0 3DNow2: 0 SSE: 1 SSE2: 0
	Compiled for x86 CPU with extensions: MMX MMX2 SSE

	Reading /home/lml/.mplayer/codecs.conf: Can't open '/home/lml/.mplayer/codecs.conf': No such file
or directory
	Reading /usr/local/etc/mplayer/codecs.conf: Can't open '/usr/local/etc/mplayer/codecs.conf': No
such file or directory
	Using built-in default codecs.conf
	File not found: 'frameno.avi'
	Failed to open frameno.avi
	Reading config file /home/lml/.mplayer/mencoder: No such file or directory
	-mf on is deprecated, use mf://files instead

However, if I leave the "on" option out I no longer get the "deprecated" warning

    mencoder -mf fps=2:type=jpeg -ofps 2 -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg1video \
		-of mpeg -v  \*.jpg -o movie.mpg

  	File not found: '*.jpg'
	Failed to open *.jpg
	Cannot open file/device.
	Exiting...

So this looks like it STILL isn't expanding out the "*".  I tried with quotes around
it ("*.jpg"), same error message.  So I tried to manually
list the files:
    mencoder -mf fps=2:type=jpeg -ofps 2 -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg1video -of mpeg \
        -v movie0.jpg movie1.jpg movie2.jpg movie3.jpg -o movie.mp

now I get a different error message:
     [file] File size is 22176 bytes
STREAM: [file] movie0.jpg
STREAM: Description: File
STREAM: Author: Albeu
STREAM: Comment: based on the code from ??? (probably Arpi)
success: format: 0  data: 0x0 - 0x56A0
Checking for YUV4MPEG2
DEMUXER: freeing demuxer at 0x84e0b28
ASF_check: not ASF guid!
DEMUXER: freeing demuxer at 0x84e0b28
Checking for NuppelVideo
DEMUXER: freeing demuxer at 0x84e0b28
Checking for REAL
DEMUXER: freeing demuxer at 0x84e0b28
Checking for SMJPEG
DEMUXER: freeing demuxer at 0x84e0b28
DEMUXER: freeing demuxer at 0x84e1390
Searching demuxer type for filename movie0.jpg ext: .jpg
Checking for MOV
DEMUXER: freeing demuxer at 0x84e1390
Checking for VIVO
DEMUXER: freeing demuxer at 0x84e1390
DEMUXER: freeing demuxer at 0x84e1390
DEMUXER: freeing demuxer at 0x84e1390
DEMUXER: freeing demuxer at 0x84e1390
DEMUXER: freeing demuxer at 0x84e1390
DEMUXER: freeing demuxer at 0x84e1390
DEMUXER: freeing demuxer at 0x84e1390
Checking for PVA
DEMUXER: freeing demuxer at 0x84e1390
Checking for MPEG-TS...
THIS DOESN'T LOOK LIKE AN MPEG-TS FILE!
TRIED UP TO POSITION 15328, FOUND 0, packet_size= -256
stream_seek: WARNING! Can't seek to 0x3BE0 !
DEMUXER: freeing demuxer at 0x84e1390
MPEG Stream reached EOF
ds_fill_buffer: EOF reached (stream: video)
MPEG packet stats: p100: 0  p101: 0 p1B6: 0 p12x: 0 sli: 0 a: 3 b: 0 c: 0 idr: 0 sps: 0 pps: 0 PES:
6  MP3: 1
Not MPEG System Stream format... (maybe Transport Stream?)
DEMUXER: freeing demuxer at 0x84e1390
DEMUXER: freeing demuxer at 0x84e1390
ds_fill_buffer: EOF reached (stream: video)
DEMUXER: freeing demuxer at 0x84e1390
============ Sorry, this file format is not recognized/supported =============
=== If this file is an AVI, ASF or MPEG stream, please contact the author! ===
Cannot open demuxer.
Exiting...

So I'm still stumped!