[MPlayer-users] Re: trouble converting ppm to mpeg - repost

Jonathan Rogers jonner at teegra.net
Fri Sep 19 22:56:59 CEST 2003

Lawrence M./ Lifshitz wrote:
> when I do a "man mplayer" I don't see exactly what you see.  I see
>    mencoder "mf://*.jpg" -mf fps=25 -o output.avi -ovc divx4
> not the example you are sending me.
> Also I also don't see any mention of an "on" option for -mf.
> (I'm running MPlayer 1.0pre1-3.2.2).  I find the example I do see
> confusing, since the man page talks about -mf, not "mf://".
> I'm also confused by which options are "global" and go at the front and
> which are supposed to come immediately AFTER the file name.  Looking at my
> man page it looks like almost all options to mencoder should come before
> the file names
>    mencoder [options] [ file | URL | - ] [-o file]
>
> However, I had thought that filename expansion might be part of the problem
> so I had tried just listing all the files on the command line, that
> didn't seem
> to help.

Do whatever your manpage says, but I'm quite certain that order of the
arguments doesn't matter. I usually use a recent CVS version, which
takes the URL style arguments, like "mf://", but I wasn't sure what your
version wants.

My CVS manpage gives this example:
        Encoding all *.jpg files in the current dir
               mencoder "mf://*.jpg" -mf fps=25 -o output.avi -ovc divx4