[MPlayer-users] Re: trouble converting ppm to mpeg - repost

Lawrence M./ Lifshitz Lawrence.Lifshitz at umassmed.edu
Wed Sep 24 19:30:18 CEST 2003

It finally works! (at least more than before).  I tried:

mencoder "mf://*.png" -mf fps=2:type=png -ofps 2 -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg1video -of mpeg -o
movie2.mpg

and it produces an mpeg movie. I still can't say I understand the syntax of the "mf:" stuff,
but that's ok.  Thank you very much for your guidance.  But (seems like there's
always a "but" :-)) the colors are really bad (eg, red changed to blue) and very
streaky. It complains about colorspace and other problems:

   Limiting audio preload to 0.4s
   Increasing audio density to 4
   VDec: Codec did not set sh->disp_w and sh->disp_h, trying workaround.
   VDec: vo config request - 594 x 590 (preferred csp: BGR 8-bit)
   Could not find matching colorspace - retrying with -vop scale...
   Opening video filter: [scale]
   VDec: using BGR 32-bit as output csp (no 0)
   Movie-Aspect is undefined - no prescaling applied.

I tried increasing the bitrate (the mpeg produced is tiny) with
  mencoder "mf://*.png" -mf fps=2:type=png -ofps 2 -ovc lavc
   -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg1video:vbitrate=16000 -of mpeg -o movie3.mpg
but that made almost no difference in size or image quality. Since the man page says
the default
is 800 kb/sec and 16000 should be 16000kb/sec I expected to see a large
increase in size - but maybe that's because each image is essentially up
for .5 seconds, so many frames are identical.

How can I get better color fidelity and/or image quality?
thanks again for your help so far.

		Larry