[MPlayer-users] One last try on the subtitles...

Anton anton_melser at paradise.net.nz
Sun Sep 21 12:55:51 CEST 2003

The Wanderer wrote:

> Anton wrote:
>
>> I am having troubles with not being able to see subtitles with an avi
>> file. I had them working but now can't remember whether I have
>> watched an avi with subtitles since I uninstalled (rpm) and installed
>> from source. The fonts are there in /usr/share/mplayer/fonts/. Any
>> ideas? Did I forget to pass some parameter when installing from
>> source? Should I be seeing subtitles? Or should I recompile?
>

> I presume you're talking about external subtitles.

[antonovich at localhost cdrom]$ mplayer -sub AmoresPerros.sub
AmoresPerros.avi

> <snip MPlayer output text>
>
>> New_Face failed. Maybe the font path is wrong.
>> Please supply the text font file (~/.mplayer/subfont.ttf).
>> subtitle font: load_sub_face failed.
>

> This is the relevant information AFAIK. Put a font of your choice at the
> location specified, and MPlayer should grab it and use it for subtitles.
> You may need to provide font-display parameters when you run MPlayer, in
> order to adjust the appearance to your liking; I have to reduce the size
> and change the positioning, but it all works out in the end.
>
> If this somehow isn't what you're asking about, or isn't the correct
> answer, or something I haven't thought of is going on, then please
> accept my apology and I'll probably shut up again for the next few
> months.

Keep it coming brother! It seems that I don't really know what the hell
I'm doing... I obviously hadn't watched anything with subtitles since I
had everything installed with rpms. I am still a real bunny and am
installing things all over the place, and I seem to change from
installing as root to user with no real rhyme nor reason. All it
required was reading the readme from the fonts file... and putting in a
font directory in my ~/.mplayer/ directory. I haven't been able to find
any subfont.ttf file though - what is that? Preferred font and where to
get it?
Cheers
Anton
ps great movie btw...