[MPlayer-users] One last try on the subtitles...

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Sun Sep 21 17:44:14 CEST 2003

Anton wrote:

> The Wanderer wrote:

>> Anton wrote:

>> I presume you're talking about external subtitles.
>
> [antonovich at localhost cdrom]$ mplayer -sub AmoresPerros.sub AmoresPerros.avi

Eh. I even looked at this for my own confirmation of something else, and
I didn't make the connection.

>> <snip MPlayer output text>
>>
>>> New_Face failed. Maybe the font path is wrong.
>>> Please supply the text font file (~/.mplayer/subfont.ttf).
>>> subtitle font: load_sub_face failed.

>> This is the relevant information AFAIK. Put a font of your choice
>> at the location specified, and MPlayer should grab it and use it
>> for subtitles.

> I haven't been able to find any subfont.ttf file though - what is
> that? Preferred font and where to get it?

It's simply the subtitle font file. There is no font called "subfont"
that I know of; you just put the font you want to use, with that
filename, at that location.

However, Dominik's comment about /usr/share/mplayer/fonts/ versus
/usr/local/share/mplayer/font/ may well be cogent, and would be
something I'd missed.

--
       The Wanderer