[MPlayer-users] /dev/fb0 no such device

Adam Nielsen a.nielsen at optushome.com.au
Wed Sep 24 03:40:47 CEST 2003

> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: 3Dfx Interactive, Inc. Voodoo Banshee
> I loaded tdfxfb module... but, only can see movies at console(*), not at X,
> because my system crashes.

When you load the module, does your video card switch into graphics mode?  If
it stays in text mode the module isn't working, but if it goes into graphics
mode you should be able to run "fbset" to see what graphics mode you're
running in.  If you can run fbset, then mplayer should work properly.

Also you do realise that using the framebuffer device only works from a
console - you can't use it from within X11.  If you want to watch movies from
within X, you need to use an X11 output device, such as -vo xv or -vo x11
instead.

> In other linux distributions, whith exactly the same hardware, I never
> loaded any module to see movies with mplayer]

These distros may have loaded all the framebuffer devices automatically, which
meant that whichever one worked for your card would've become active.

Cheers,
Adam.