[MPlayer-users] ac3 to 6channel ogg

rcooley rcooley at spamcop.net
Wed Sep 24 19:06:42 CEST 2003

Tomas Bazant wrote:
> Hello
>
> i'm looking for a linux tool that is able to convert 6channel ac3 sound
> to 6channel ogg vorbis. Is mplayer or mencoder capable of this?
MPlayer can do part of the job.

> If so, how?
Dump the ac3 to a pcm file, but make sure to pass '-channels 6' to
mplayer or it will just dump 2 channels.  The PCM file can then be
encoded using oggenc.

Of course, there has been some discussion that the ogg's channels aren't
the same as the ac3s cannels, so sounds end up comming out of the wrong
speakers.  I don't care a great deal about 5.1 sound, so I haven't
looked into solutions.  Good luck.