[MPlayer-users] "get_buffer() failed, Segmentation fault" in mencoder-1.0pre1 with -ovc lavc

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Fri Sep 26 09:46:03 CEST 2003

Petr Bavorovsky wrote:
>>>$ mencoder /mnt/cd/GLADIATOR/VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_7.VOB -vf
>>
>>You do realize you can use `mencoder dvd://1' don't you? That's
>>easier/nicer to work with.
>

> No, I can't do this because I have directory with VOB-files mounted via
> network, not dvd disk and reader.

Oh, ok. I considered this as a possibility, but your mount point
deceived me. :) Had I been more careful I would have realized that
"GLADIATOR" wouldn't be there if it were a DVD.

> Typically I use
> cat *.VOB | mencoder -
> to process such a files. Is there another way?

In most cases it's better to use -dumpstream, rather than copy the vob
files:

mplayer dvd://1 -dumpstream -dumpfile title-1.vob

...will copy the entirety of title one into a nice, big, unencrypted
file. The only thing you might want to get directly from the mounted DVD
is vts_01_0.ifo, if you plan to use subtitles. My understanding is that
the ifo file contains information about the color palette to use when
rendering the subtitles; if you don't use it, the subtitles look ugly.
Then, once you want to encode, you would do this:

mencoder file-1.vob <options> -ifo vts_01_0.ifo

-Corey