[MPlayer-users] Can you do this in mencoder ?

Michel Bardiaux mbardiaux at peaktime.be
Wed Apr 7 12:19:22 CEST 2004

Elena Bulanova wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm a new user of mencoder and after a day or two of reading the docs
> and experimenting I can encode videos with lavc and lame.
> However I'd like to know if mencoder can encode audio to wma1 or wma2. I
> believe these are the formats of the divx 3.11a audio encoders in
> Windows (I used to encode videos on Windows using these as audio encoders).
> Can mencoder do this ?
> I downloaded the win32 codecs and installed them. I could not find any
> docs on their use in mencoder. What options must be passed to mencoder
> to use them ? For example:
>
>  mencoder -ovc XXX
>
> what is XXX for the win32 divx or WMA9 ? Also what are the options for
> bitrate, etc. for these codecs ?
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Elena

I have the same problem. But for obscure reasons, mplayerhq bounced my
message!

And please, *pretty please*, no flames about why one would encode to WMA
when it sucks, when all things MS suck, when there is MP3, or OGG, or
AC3... This is a simple case of 'the customer is always right' (I'm not
the customer, I *have* one. Troublesome beasts...)

If it cant be done in mencoder, is there a command-line MSWIN proggy,
preferrably open-source of course, that could do it under wine?

HaND,
--
Michel Bardiaux
Peaktime Belgium S.A.  Bd. du Souverain, 191  B-1160 Bruxelles