[MPlayer-users] mplayer g2 licence

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Fri Apr 9 06:48:42 CEST 2004

On Fri, Apr 09, 2004 at 02:34:16AM +0300, Ioannis Panteleakis wrote:
> Hi,
> after reading the mplayer-g2 mailing-list and some other posts, and seeing
> what the problem is (with the consequence of the Arpi's leaving and maybe
> others) I'd just like to point that there could be a solution with the
> adoptation of the trolltech's dual licence. So make the library lgpl for
> opensource projects and commercial for commercial projects. i know that this
> was already discussed but I wanted to put my 2 cents.
> BTW: is mplayer-G2 dead?
> ... and sorry for continuing this thread...

I'm sorry but this post is totally off-topic and ignorant. This is
exactly what Arpi proposed (except gpl, not lgpl -- lgpl is stupid) on
mplayer-g2-dev, and it was _rejected_. Let's please not get into
another discussion of it here, especially since it's a topic for
developers, not users (since we're the ones writing the code).

As for mplayer g2 itself being dead, yes and no. The project is
probably not continuing in its current form, but that doesn't mean
there won't be a "next great thing" after mplayer g1. It's just a
matter of rethinking things, and getting the right people together
with the right amount of extra time to work on it. The way nut is
progressing (see ffmpeg, mplayer-dev-eng, and mplayer-cvslog lists) is
a really good sign, imo.

Rich