[MPlayer-users] Re: mplayer > 1.x doesn't recognize myradeon cardwith vidix

adland adland123 at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 11 01:03:21 CEST 2004

> pci bus 0x0001 cardnum 0x00 function 0x00: vendor 0x1002 device 0x5157
>  ATI Radeon 7500 QW

> #define DEVICE_ATI_RADEON_RV200_QW                      0x5157
> /*Radeon RV200 QW [Radeon 7500]*/

ok definitely correct hardware which is supported and same as mine.

> do _you_ actually have /dev/dhahelper, or is it working without it in your
> system?

yes from an install of prebuilt mplayer package used for comparison
(however I build and use the CVS and never do a make install)

you could create it yourself as root if desired
mknod -m 666 /dev/dhahelper c 180 0

from my strace
open("/dev/dhahelper", O_RDWR|O_LARGEFILE) = -1 ENODEV (No such device)

ls -al /dev/dhahelper
crw-rw-rw-    1 root     root     180,   0 Mar 10 17:44 /dev/dhahelper
which means even if you have it there is a likelyhood it will not open
but it is not needed for running mplayer as root.

deleting this file also has no effect on running mplayer -vo xvidix as root.

it is opening this libdha library but this is what
actually performs the pci scan used by the vidix drivers.
library not even loaded normally with my default vo option.

> do you have any more ideas?

yes from your strace log

> open("/usr/local/lib/mplayer/vidix/radeon_vid.o", O_RDONLY) = 8
> read(8, "\177ELF\1\1\1\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\1\0\3\0\1\0\0\0\0\0\0\0"..., 1024)
>\

Look above this is not a shared object. has extension of .o should be .so
(compare to the other vidix drivers in log)
This file is possibly just the output of compiling a single .c file or object.

you can use the file command to verify this
file /usr/local/lib/mplayer/vidix/radeon_vid.so
output should show shared object
ELF 32-bit LSB shared object, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), not stripped

I would first make sure to copy the file vidix/drivers/radeon_vid.so
to /usr/local/lib/mplayer/vidix

and while you are at it might as well delete every other file  in
/usr/local/lib/mplayer/vidix
it is not required to load them and probe for non existant cards
when you know you have a radeon 7500.

good luck