[MPlayer-users] -ofps when encoding dvd video

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Mon Apr 12 06:10:44 CEST 2004

On Sun, Apr 11, 2004 at 10:29:33PM -0400, Aaron Peterson wrote:
> I've seen several howtos/tutorials on taking dvd to divx(lavc) that say
> you should use -ofps 23.976 or -ofps 25.  is this necessary?  is this
> preferable?  the mplayer manual on the homepage is one of these...
> however in the examples for ripping dvds at the end of the man page, there
> is nothing with -ofps XX.XXX
>
> http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/menc-feat-dvd-mpeg4.html

If you have an NTSC movie DVD that's soft-telecined (almost all are)
then you should use -ofps 23.976 (actually -ofps 24000/1001 is
probably better). Otherwise you should not use -ofps. -ofps 25 is
useless since PAL is already labelled with the correct framerate.

Of course if you really want to do movie encoding you should READ, and
read A LOT about different video standards, film-to-video transfer,
etc. so you understand the reasons for using different -ofps options
or filters, rather than just memorizing rules. The rules work in most
cases, but eventually you'll run across badly-transferred movies that
don't fit the rule.

Rich