[MPlayer-users] Re: Can you do this in mencoder ?

Michel Bardiaux mbardiaux at peaktime.be
Thu Apr 15 12:36:39 CEST 2004

Tobias Diedrich wrote:

> Michel Bardiaux wrote:
>

>>And please, *pretty please*, no flames about why one would encode to WMA
>>when it sucks, when all things MS suck, when there is MP3, or OGG, or
>>AC3... This is a simple case of 'the customer is always right' (I'm not
>>the customer, I *have* one. Troublesome beasts...)
>

> You could try msadpcm, which mencoder/libavcodec can encode and Windows
> should be able to decode out of the box, however last time I tried it it
> was buggy/distorted.  At least XP should be able to do mp3 out of the
> box too...

I should have given more details. We ship out ASF files that have to be
acceptable to WMP6.4 and later. WMP7 and WMP9 have no trouble with ASF
made by lavc+lavf (under ffmpeg, not under mencoder) using one of the
MSMPEG4 video codecs in lavc, and MP3 (lame) sound. However, WMP6.4
rejects such files. Ditto if MSADPCM is used. It seems (sotp) that
*only* WMA will do. Since I cant encode WMA in ffmpeg I was looking for
an alternate encoder.

--
Michel Bardiaux
Peaktime Belgium S.A.  Bd. du Souverain, 191  B-1160 Bruxelles