[MPlayer-users] mplayer, kinoma, quicktime

Jan Knutar jknutar at nic.fi
Thu Apr 29 11:42:51 CEST 2004

On Wednesday 28 April 2004 21:48, Sergei Gerasenko wrote:
> I tried -ss but it
> didn't work in mencoder.

-ss works for me, with some limitations.

Seeking in mpeg files seems to not be so precise, and for some mpeg I
actually need to give a time double as big as the one I want. I usually
experiment with mplayer first, mplayer -frames 1 -ss <whatever>
file.ext... And see if it's close to what I want...

Second, -ss can only seek to keyframes, so if you have a mpeg4 (divx,
xvid, etc), they're only every 10 seconds or so... Avi files also need
an intact index for it.