[MPlayer-users] DVD rip Crop & scale little problems

rcooley rcooley at spamcop.net
Wed Aug 4 11:41:53 CEST 2004

On Wed, 4 Aug 2004 11:11:45 +0200
Alain Barthélemy <cassandre at bartydeux.be> wrote:

> Thus why not only "scale=-1:-2".

Well, that will give you a video that is 1020 wide, which doesn't seem
to be what you want.

Please disregard my advice.  It seems I misunderstood your
original question.  I hope I didn't cause much confusion.

However, now that I think I understand, I can offer an answer.

If you can't use autoaspect, you could use scale to calculate everything
for you.  Run MPlayer with "crop=718:432:2:72,scale=576:-2".  Then,
exit mplayer, and look at the output.  It will tell you what dimention
it scaled the height to to match up with 576, you just have to round it
up or down to the nearest number that is a multiple of 16.

So if mplayer says the video output from that command is 576x242, you
would then change scale to "scale=576:240", and then pass crop
dimentions and your new scale dimentions to mencoder.  That should be
all it takes.

I'll leave it at that to keep it simple, and prevent confusion.  If you
are interested in a way to make this process more automatic, feel free
to ask.